of the Crossroads Presbyterian Church
had it's beginning on September 30,
1883, as the Desert Creek Church.
With thirteen members from five
families, the church was founded.
There were three elders and two
deacons installed. It's
original location was two to three
miles south of the current location,
(east toward Desert Creek).
Some of the firsts for the
Crossroads Presbyterian Church were:
First Infant Baptism - M.V. Patterson, child of Mr. and Mrs.
William B. Patterson on August 30, 1885, by Rev. W.A. Kirkpatrick.
First Adult Baptism - M.M. Walker in November 1887, by Rev.
First Wedding - W.H. Moats and Martha Walker, October 29,
1893, by E.H. Messick
First Death recorded in the congregation - Mrs. C.M. Smith, October 14, 1888.
Even though the records books
were published by the Cumberland
Presbyterian Publishing House in
Nashville, the Desert Creek Church
seemed to be non-denominational.
There must have been difficulty in
attracting pastors to our rural
area, and ministers from other
denominations sometimes filled the
In October, 1895 the members
constructed a new church building
and the first reference to the
church as 'Cross Road' rather than as
Desert Creek was made.
show the addition of the "s" to the
Cross Roads. So the name
change must have come with the new
sanctuary. Other than the
mention of a new building, there are
no official explanations of the name
change, and only the record book and
the titles of the church rulers
indicate the church's transition in
1906 from the Cumberland
Presbyterian to the Presbyterian
USA, although the exodus by a great
number of churches leaving the
Cumberland organization stirred
nationwide controversy in the
church. It seemed to pass
without much notice at Crossroads.
By 1912, the church had a
tabernacle built, and attendance
began to grow. Their
"protracted meetings" (revivals),
generally held in August, resulted
in an abundance of new members added
to the church roll. Music was
a highly esteemed part of the
worship service. Cross Roads
talent traveled throughout North
Texas, with some members such as the
Kelly-Gordon Quartet being heard
regularly on the radio. In
1918, Emmett Dean of Waco was
secured to teach a three-week
singing school at the church.
In 1921, the manse was completed.
Plans were then made to move the
church to the new 3˝ acre church
grounds near the manse. G.W.
Jones of Garland was extended a call
to be pastor of Cross Roads for ˝
time, with the remaining time split
between Howe and Canaan.
In 1928, the new sanctuary was
constructed at Desert. Not
much out of the ordinary was for
reported for the next few years.
New members were added, and old ones
left the community or passed away.
About sixty-five members were on the
church register in 1955.
Sunday morning services were held on
the 3rd and 5th Sunday and evening
services were held on the 1st and
2nd conducted by Rev. Phil Spencer.
Teachers during this time were
Charles Buchanan, Wallace Caraway,
Mary Lou Frazier and Bernice
Caraway. By the latter half of
the 20th century, Crossroads was
witnessing the same kinds of changes
as the rest of the country. An
exodus from rural areas to cities
was underway, as was a slide away
from traditional forms of worship.
With a smaller congregation,
Crossroads continued to welcome
newcomers who started the trend back
to the country.
It doubled in
size, temporarily, in 1970, while
the members of Nobility Baptist
Church joined us in worship while
they spent several months working on
repairing the sanctuary. The
music was wonderful!
In 1995, Rev.
Frey Tyler conducts worship services
on the 3rd Sunday of each month.
Weekly Sunday School lessons were
led by Jim Salzman for the adult
class and Dale Salzman and Brenda
Brummett taught the children.
1996, the Thompson brothers, (Billy,
Charles and Gerry) along with Joe
and Dodie Kelley heard Rev. David
A. Sharp at another church.
Months later they called him and
asked him if he would be interested
in holding preaching services at
Crossroads and so he did. He
preached his first sermon of the
floor of the sanctuary using a small
podium on September 29, 1996.
There were about 8-10 adults in
attendance. After Rev. David
Sharp was finished, the comment was
made that they would have a vote to
see if they wanted to invite him
back. I guess the rest is
history. Since Rev. David
Sharp has been in the pulpit we have
had 80 new members.
As the D/FW
Metroplex started spreading out into
Anna & Melissa, there was a “return”
by many to the country. Population
growth started to occur, although
not near as rapidly as to the south
and west, families with children
joined the church. In 2007 a third
steeple was added to the church (as the
first two had been blown down in storms).
Today, 125 years
after 13 members started the Desert
Creek church, we have nearly 100
members, weekly worship, a growing
faith family, and plans to move for
a fourth time because of the need
for more space!
Which makes me
wonder… why this growth here? We’re
still really out in the middle of
nowhere. Why here? Congregations
that were started roughly at the
same time in Leonard and Whitewright
are struggling to keep their doors
open. But we’re